While last weeks dish was delicious; this week I wanted to really challenge myself. While searching for something a little more complicated, my eyes fixated on another recipe from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings Cookbook. For week 3, I made John’s Fried Chicken Wings with Spicy Honey Butter.
When I think of frying in my kitchen, I just imagine a gigantic kitchen fire engulfing my apartment and then my entire apartment building. Over dramatic? Maybe, but hey I have a vivid imagination. Luckily the process went a lot smoother.
Filling a large pot with about 6 inches of oil and keeping it on medium heat prevented the oil from popping and splattering out of the pot. Once the heat was at the right temperature, I placed each hand-breaded chicken wing into the hot oil for about 13 minutes per batch. The result was perfectly crisp and golden brown wings.
The three simple ingredient sauce was the cherry on top for these delicious, fall off the bone chicken wings. I CAN’T BELIEVE I MADE THESE!
While I wanted to throw health completely out the window, I just couldn’t do it. I NEED MY GREENS! Since the wings were a more intensive process I thought it would be good to make some simple brussel spouts. I am a novice in the kitchen but these are super easy to make, and you only need a couple ingredients!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and place the baking sheet in the oven while you complete steps 2 and 3
- Cut off the stem and then half or quarter the brussel sprout from the top down
- In a mixing bowl, toss the brussel sprouts with some olive oil, salt and pepper
- Remove baking sheets from the oven (use oven mitts since it will be hot) place the brussel sprouts flat side down and place in the oven for 10 minutes
- Flip them over so the flat side is up, and place the baking sheet back in the oven for 10 more minutes
- to make crispy broil for a minute or two, or you can toss them with a sauce of your choice and place back in the oven to caramelize the sauce on them.
Third week completed and I must admit I am getting more comfortable in the kitchen!