This week I took a traditional taco bowl and put a twist on it. I replaced the rice with Quinoa, but kept all the same delicious flavors of a taco bowl!
Since the bowl itself is essentially a bunch of ingredients chopped and mixed together, I decided to challenge myself a little by making my own salsa!
Taco Tuesday now has a new dish put into rotation!
This meal was extremely easy to make and definitely fills that void for a taco, just this meal is a little healthier!
Make your Salsa
To get started, you first need to make the salsa. This needs to sit for about an hour so all the flavors mix together.
- 2 Large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 Jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Prepare all of your ingredients and combine them in a bowl. To make your salsa more fine, chop your ingredients smaller. If you want it spicier, add more Jalapeno or add the seeds. If you want more flavor add more chili powder, salt and pepper. This is your time to make the salsa how you want it, and where you actually know what is going into it!
- Mix your salsa together. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for about an hour, or until you are ready to build your taco bowl.
Prepare and Build your Taco Bowl
You can essentially put whatever you want in your taco bowl. But these are the ingredients I used:
- 1 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa (this will become about 4 cups of cooked quinoa)
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 Can of Black Beans (I rinsed and dried, but you can keep the sauce if you like it)
- 1 Cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cup of Chicken
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- Homemade Salsa, pre-made salsa or diced tomatoes
With all of your ingredients measured and cut, you can build your quinoa taco salad. I used about 1 cup of cooked quinoa as my base and then just filled my bowl. You can add some sour cream to your dish, maybe some hot sauce or a chili lime dressing to add a little more flavor if needed.
Ultimately, this was a fun and delicious dinner. It worked well as lunch the next day as well! Have fun and be creative with this dish. Healthy foods can still be yummy! 🙂