Do you ever have a night where you want to eat something healthy, but also want a lot of flavor? Well then, I have the perfect dish for you!
The Mixture of Zucchini noodles, baked chicken and basil pesto sauce was delicious and truly checked the box for both healthy and flavorful.
This dish was easy to make, but there are a number of moving parts. Lets start by pulling all the ingredients you will need.
For the Dish:
- 2 Medium Zucchini’s
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese gratings
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or canola oil (chicken)
- 2 tsp olive oil (tomatoes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare the Zucchini and Tomatoes
Before you do anything, spiralized your zucchini’s. This way they are done and ready to go once everything else is prepared. Set your zucchini noodles to the side.
Next, place the cherry tomatoes in a bowl with olive oil and a dash of salt. Mix and set to the side.
Bake the Chicken
To prepare the chicken, we are going to start with a pan sear, and then transfer the chicken to the oven to finish cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven heats up, place your skillet on the stove over medium/high heat with nothing in it. While the pan is getting hot, season one side of your breasts with salt and pepper.
- After about 1-2 minutes your pan should be very hot and at this time you are going to add some oil to the pan, and spread it out so the entire bottom is coated.
- Next, place the breasts in the pan, seasoned side down. Leave it in the skillet, AND DO NOT TOUCH IT for about 3 minutes. At this time you can season the other side of the chicken, with salt and pepper.
- After those three minutes are up, you are going to flip the chicken, and you will see a beautiful golden brown sear. At this time you will want to add a little more oil to the skillet so the chicken does not burn, and let it cook for another 3 minutes without touching it.
- When the chicken has a beautiful sear on both sides, you will move it to a baking sheet, and place the chicken in the oven for about 10-15 minutes to finish cooking.
Make the Basil Pesto Sauce
When the chicken is in the oven, you can prepare the Basil Pesto Sauce.
Using the food processor place only the basil, pine nuts and garlic in the bowl. Add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil and then close the lid.Start to blend and slowly drizzle the rest of the 1/3 cup of olive oil into the food processor.
Once everything is fully blended, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Then, remove the bowl from the food processor and set it aside.
Sauté the Cherry tomatoes
Now it is time to cook the tomatoes. Using the same skillet you cooked the chicken in, transfer the tomatoes and the olive oil they were sitting in to the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat.
Let the tomatoes heat up for about 5-10 minutes. you will see the tomoatoes start to blister or brown. Once your tomatoes are your desired texture, move them to a bowl and set aside.
Cook the Noodles and Complete the dish
Start by placing your zucchini noodles in a large bowl. Add your basil pesto sauce and mix it all together.
Once the noodles are fully coated, place them in the large skillet where you cooked both the chicken and tomatoes. Mix around so everything is evenly heated.
Once the noodles are heated, the chicken is finished cooking, and the tomatoes are blistered, it is time to build your dish.
Finish it off with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!