When it comes to cooking, it is never too late to learn how to cook something new! I live by my advice and this past week I decided to tackle mussels! I am a true seafood lover, and while I’ve had mussels a number of times, I’ve never made them.
Well let me tell you something, this was one of the easiest and most delicious dinners I’ve made. Plus it will make you look like a fancy chef without much effort!
This meal is great for a busy night because it is a two pot and one bowl clean up. You will use one pot to cook your pasta and the other pot to make the white wine sauce and steam the mussels. Once everything is cooked you will mix it all together in a large bowl and voila, you are done and clean up is simple!
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, cleaned and open shells discarded
- ¾ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- About 6 oz of whole grain Linguine Pasta
- Parmesan cheese to top
To begin, you want to start by boiling the water for your pasta.
While you wait for the water to boil, you can start by preparing the ingredients. You want to dice your onion and clean the mussels. To clean the mussels, you want to rinse them in water and discard all the opened mussels. ** If you rinse them in warm water, some of them may open since they are still alive.**
Once your ingredients are prepped and your mussels are ready to be cooked, you can start to prepare the sauce.
- In a large sauce pan, heat up some olive oil over medium heat. Then add the onions and garlic, and mix together until the onions are translucent.
- Next add the white wine, thyme, salt and pepper. Give everything a nice stir.
- Then add the mussels and cover the post to steam them. The mussels should steam for about 7-10 minutes.
- While the mussels cook, place the pasta in the boiled water and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until your desired pasta consistency.
- Once the pasta is done, and the mussels are all open and steamed, it is time to combine and serve.
Mix everything together so the sauce lightly coats the pasta and the mussels. Then give yourself a nice helping of both and drizzle some more sauce on top.
Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and you are ready to eat. If you’ve never had mussels, you just need to scoop the meat out of their shells and discard the shells.
Look at you, you can make a fancy gourmet dinner in the comfort of your home, and everyone thinks you are a fancy chef!